Improve Consistency within the Maine Human Rights Act
|Category:||Wage and Labor|
|Sponsor:||Representative Donna Bailey, House 14|
|Bill #:||LD 1703|
The purpose of this bill is to address inconsistencies in the protections provided in different areas of jurisdiction under the Maine Human Rights Act. The bill provides more inclusive protection by:
1. Including adult family members dependent for care in the definition of "familial status";
2. Including familial status as a protected class in employment;
3. Including age as a protected class in public accommodations;
4. Providing that public entities cannot discriminate on the basis of protected class; and
5. Clarifying the scope of the Maine Human Rights Act application in education.
The bill also clarifies the protections provided to pregnant persons in employment and that the sexual orientation provisions already in the Maine Human Rights Act extend to gender identity.